Stewart Family Book Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Counting Your Blessing

4 posters

Go down

Counting Your Blessing Empty Counting Your Blessing

Post by Erniekegs Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:46 pm

Every time I start reading a new part of this book I keep hearing Bing Crosby's crooning voice in my head from the movie White Christmas. "When you're tired and you can't sleep. Just count your blessings instead of sheep. And then you'll fall asleep counting your blessings." I wish I had the commitment to write down all my blessings everyday. I am positive that it would easily number above one thousand.

One thing that struck me when she began her list was that her number one was very mundane. "1. Morning shadows across the old floors". I might be weird but my number one blessing from God is Adam. It is a tie for second with Audery and Agatha. Did anyone else find it odd that she had no people on her list? Don't get me wrong I always try to appreciate and thank God for the everyday things too. However, if I am saying a pray of Thanksgiving I always say thank you for those three and then on to what I my actual thanksgiving is. I just want to make sure that God is abundantly aware that I am extremely grateful for Adam and the girls. I could obviously go one and name all the other people that I am thankful for (everyone on this forum is of course included) but there would never be enough room. Someday maybe I will have time to start a blessings journal until that day comes I know that God knows I am beyond thankful for everything, and everyone, he has given me.
Erniekegs
Erniekegs

Back to top Go down

Counting Your Blessing Empty Re: Counting Your Blessing

Post by amycagle Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:10 am

I agree with the people comment. The 1st of November every year I put a big piece of paper on my fridge with a title "Thanks". Everyone who comes over writes on it, but I am always the 1st and half the paper is people, but I think what she is going for here is to see God in everything and how beautiful it all is. Of course you all know I started a journal only to be distracted and leave it, but what I found myself writing was things, like my iron, I was ironing shirts and was so thankful it was fast and easy because of it. I looked at my list and it just didn't have how God is so perfect in his creation that everything works together to take care of us perfectly. like the cheese, God gave us a cow, that eats grass, that makes milk, that is turned into many different things that are wonderful. So I think I will try again to see the miracles that God puts right in front of us. I will say, don't really care for this book, her writing style in not what I like to read but I know God is having me read this for a reason and reading it with all of you is one of them. God Bless us all in this journey !!!!!!

amycagle

Back to top Go down

Post by mary jo Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:51 am

I have kept a thankful journal for several years, every night when I crawl in bed I write down 5 things that I am thankful for that day.  I keep it in my nightstand and no one sees it but me.  I have noticed that as the years go by my thanks are for pretty much the same things, Ray, the kids, the grandkids, mom, sisters, birthdays, holidays, retirement, etc.   My thanks have become so routine that I am writing down the same things every week.  This chapter made me see there is so much more.  So, today as I took my walk, I was not only thankful for being able to walk, I was thankful for the breeze that keep me cool, the quiet of the morning, the song of the birds and so much more.   I loved this chapter with her thanks for a soap bubble.  This chapter really opened my eyes. I loved it.

mary jo

Back to top Go down

Counting Your Blessing Empty Living

Post by bethsusan Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:38 pm

"The tragedy of life is not death, but what we let die inside us while we live." She seems to be finding that the living, the noticing, the being in the moment is what makes us whole.

I'm not a fan of her writing style and think she is a bit simplistic and unrealatable to me (6 kids, home school, makes 3 meals a day - really? Not your average work deadlines, kids to activities, money problems - the things real people face everyday.) But her point about being grateful FOR ALL I HAVE BEEN GIVEN before I even contemplate anything else hits home. As I get older gratefulness is manifested in countless mundane ways and I am blessed.

Amy - you iron shirts???? Smile

bethsusan

Back to top Go down

Post by Erniekegs Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:07 pm

I am so glad you said that Aunt Susan. I have been reading this book and trying to relate. You made me realize that I don't need to do that. It is HER story of obviously coming out of a really bad place. I don't need to relate to her I just need to Listen.
Erniekegs
Erniekegs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum