Stewart Family Book Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thanksgiving

4 posters

Go down

Thanksgiving Empty Thanksgiving

Post by Erniekegs Tue May 31, 2016 7:32 pm

I did a lot of running to the Word for this chapter. I loved that she referenced so many biblical stories and passages. I reread everything that she referenced, the psalms, the 10 leopards, the Passover...etc. As always something new was brought to my attention with each read of a familiar passage.
Page 33 says "A threefold cord that might hold a life?" For me this was totally a reference to the Holy Trinity. God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit. Grace, Thanksgiving, Joy. I love thinking about these three things intertwined to form a wonderful part of our relationship with God. He gave us GRACE which we should be THANKFUL for and that will create JOY within.

Page 34 says "It's the most common foods" I have never thought about how Jesus made sure that his body was constant throughout our daily lives. It makes me really want to be thankful every time I eat a piece of bread. I love that the image of His grace can be with me throughout the day in a simply way. Anything to constantly remind me how much I am loved and taken care of is always good.

Page 35 says " THAT WAS THE FALL! ...ingratitude". Mind Blown. I have never thought that the reason for Adam and Eve's betrayal was not only a result of temptation but also INGRATITUDE. They could not see all the blessings that they had received from God and therefore instead of giving thanks they were easily led into temptation.

Page 39 says "Jesus counts thanksgiving integral in a faith that saves" This thought has honestly never occurred to me. I pray constantly and I have always made a point to try and start every pray with a thanksgiving instead of a request. After having kids I feel is makes me sound ungrateful if I am always asking for things and never saying please or thank you. Mostly because I have to remind Audery to constantly say those magic words. Having a true heart that is thankful to God for everything, makes me feel so much closer to him. I am so Thankful that he is MY God and I am his child.
Erniekegs
Erniekegs

Back to top Go down

Thanksgiving Empty Re: Thanksgiving

Post by amycagle Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:36 am

Great post Erin. I too was hit by the bible stories she referred to. The one the got me was the 10 lepers. I never really thought about the other nine not being saved, ungrateful yes, but not saved ..... and in my "Amy world" I have to hope they came to Christ. But the words I underlined in this chapter were "Thanksgiving is the evidence of our acceptance of whatever He gives" Be happy in the moment, that is what I get out of this. I have never been a planner but this retirement has kind of made me concerned about the future, I love it when God just calms me and says I got this, enjoy! Thank the Lord for giving me everything I need the moment I need it!

amycagle

Back to top Go down

Post by mary jo Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:11 pm

What stuck out for me was the quote "The greatest thing is to give thanks for everything. He who has learned this knows what it means to live". This is how I want to live. I need to work on myself to always give thanks for not only the good things but also the challenges that God sees me through.

mary jo

Back to top Go down

Thanksgiving Empty Loving

Post by bethsusan Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:27 pm

As I usually come from a different perspective Smile The first thing I noticed in the chapter was a great depression - the kind that so many people face and don't know how to get out of. I think one of the gifts of faith - no matter how much or little you have - is the ability to hope. One of my favorite quotes is "Imagine somebody who loves you so much they make you love yourself." I think that may be at the heart of her search - learning to love herself.

bethsusan

Back to top Go down

Post by mary jo Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:46 pm

I think we all need to learn to love ourselves. Very hard to do.

mary jo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum